Thursday 2 August 2018

Day 1

Left home at 14:45, with the temperature up at 27 degrees. Opening Ginny's air deflectors does help in those conditions but it was still very hot and sticky.

The journey was pretty crap to be honest, with several tailbacks along the way, M25, M11 and A14 and also not without incident.  I'd barely gone 20 miles and was filtering through the tin box mongs, when one young lady decided to squeeze the gap I was going for. I saw her look in her mirror as I approached and took this as a sign she'd seen me. That IS usually the case. However, as I went to move alongside, she pulled towards the white line, leaving me no option but to brake. There was slight contact, though I wasn't sure at the time where. A blast on Ginny's cruise liner loud horn and the gap was there for me once more. Judging by the look on her face, she had no idea what she'd done, so I don't believe it was a deliberate act. If so, she'd have got more than just a head shake. Later inspection showed a black mark on my engine protector, so I guess that came into contact with her tyre.

With the various holdups, I lost about 30 minutes on the journey, arriving about 17:15. After a cold drink, Helen took me on a walk around Burton Latimer, down to the river and passed the Weetabix facrory. 
That was quite funny as just along the road it smelt like someone was preparing breakfast!

We had a chinese takeaway for dinner and then watched a bit of football, Burnley v Aberdeen. My friends Cheryl and Geoff, with whom I am staying on Saturday are Aberdeen supporters. They wouldn't have been happy tonight.

Tomorrow I am heading for the Lake District, staying a few miles outside Keswick. Weather should be fine and warm again. Let's hope that journey passes without incident.

No comments:

Post a Comment