Friday 3 August 2018

Day 2.3

So here I am in the Lake District. It is no mystery how it gets its name and since the moment I crossed into Cumbria, it was raining, culminating in a heavy downpour just as I rode through Windermere. The cons outway the pros for me at the moment. Pro, the scenery. Cons, the weather and the Cumbrian authority's insistance on putting manhole covers, right in the middle of every bend. And I'm not just talking the little round or square ones either. No, massive rectangular ones, strategically placed to scare the shit out of all bikers. OK in the dry, I gather it is sometimes but really quite unnerving in the wet, such as today.
With a stop at the Amblside Roman Fort on the way, no need to take the helmet off in this weather, I arrived at my farm B&B about 17:20. I was met by the cutest little puppy, 10 weeks old I'm told and by the landlady, Louise. She reckons the weather is going to perk up again from tomorrow, insisting that the heatwave is travelling north again. I'm hoping she's right and it carries on for another few hundred miles. Besides the unpleasantness of riding in the rain, Ginny is now filthy. Maybe Geoff will have a hose/pressure washer, so I can give her a wash down when I hit Inverurie.
That's my target for tomorrow. For now though, I'm going to take a walk down the road to the local pub, the Kings Head and have some dinner and maybe a couple of pints of Jennings ale.


No comments:

Post a Comment