Friday 10 August 2018

Day 9.2

Just outside Inverness it started raining. Waterproofs on. Rained pretty much all the way to  Perth.
Passing Inverness on the A9 signalled the end of the NC500 route. The first 3.5 days were definitely better than the last day Not just because of the change in the weather or the crappy hotel, either. The West is the Best, believe me.

I had another detour on the way down, to Loch an Eilein, paying a visit to my mum's last resting place. Almost 5 years ago to the day, my brother and I rode up here, to fulfill her wish to be scattered on the banks of the Loch.

When we did that, we chose a spot we could identify easily, for just such an occasion as today. Armed with photos we took at the time, of a particular tree configuration, I was able to identify the spot. It was peeing down when I arrived and in deed as I left but as I stood chatting to mum, the sun came out briefly. Make of that whatever you want.

I had one more stop to make before Perth, for fuel. Next drink for Ginny will be at the same Asda I used last Saturday. Let's hope I don't encounter the same tomtom/headset issues as then.

Am staying at a Travelodge. It's 5* luxury compared to the Golspie Inn. There's a pub next door.  Popped over for dinner but  I forgot it was Friday and it is full. Should have booked on reflection. May try a pizza delivery instead or go back later.

Loch An Eilein


No comments:

Post a Comment